We’re always looking for different ways to turn back the clock.
Luckily, when it comes to your skin, there are a few tricks that can improve its look and feel, and even reverse signs of aging.
Follow these 10 tips below, and you’ll notice significant improvements in your skin’s tone, texture and appearance:
1. Always check your product labels: When using new anti-aging or hydrating skin cleansers, serums or creams, make sure they’re packed with antioxidants like vitamin C and retinoids (which support collagen regeneration). Moisturize twice a day, once in the morning after cleansing and toning and again at night. When your skin gets dehydrated it can’t repair itself.
2. Wear SPF every single day: Make sure you’re wearing SPF daily, and using a brand that protects your skin from both UVA (aging) rays and UVB (burning rays). Sun exposure damages your skin’s collagen and elastin (which ages you), creates freckles and dark spots and increases your chances of skin cancer.
3. Take care of your eyes: The skin around your eyes is the thinnest. Protect your eyes from UV rays by wearing sunglasses when outside (try to avoid squinting when possible) and wear a retinoid-based eye cream at night.
4. Eat skin-healthy foods: Beauty really does start from the inside out, so make sure you’re just as careful with what you put in your body, as what you put on your face. Foods packed with vitamin C and zinc help your skin repair itself quicker. Skin-healthy foods like fatty fish, leafy greens, almonds, berries and green tea will help your skin maintain that youthful glow.
5. Lay off the heavy makeup: Thick foundations and powders can actually make you look older than you are. Heavy makeup tends to settle into your dry patches and wrinkles, which can accentuate those areas. If you do wear makeup, always make sure to use a primer. Primers fill in lines and pores and allows your makeup to settle more evenly.
6. Treat your dark spots: Like those pesky fine lines we get as we age, dark spots become more prominent too. In fact, dark spots can make you look 10-15 years older! Luckily, there are plenty of products that can help lighten those areas. By using dark spot correctors, in addition to exfoliators, you’ll notice lighter age spots in just three months. If you want to go the natural route, Vitamin C is an excellent antioxidant that has been shown to help lighten melasma.
7. Exfoliate weekly: Every 28 days our skin sheds its cells. Overtime, that process tends to slow down, which dulls our complexion and creates rough patches. By exfoliating at least once a week, you can speed up the natural shedding process which will increase circulation and blood flow, giving you brighter skin.
8. Stay away from sugar: While it’s ok to treat yourself once in awhile, many experts believe that diets high in sugar -- like eating foods with corn syrup, dextrose and fruit-juice concentrate -- can decrease the collagen and elastin in your skin, which ages you.
9. Drink water: Keeping your skin hydrated starts from the inside out. Make sure you’re drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day.
10. Stay active: Regular exercise not only decreases stress and calms nerves, it reduces inflammation throughout your body.
In addition to your daily skincare routine, it’s important to get regular facials. Facials moisturize your skin, reverse visible signs of aging, improve skin tone and texture, evens redness, lessens skin sensitivity, diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and reduces blemishes and breakouts.
For all your skincare needs, contact Teri Taylor at Casablanca Salon & Day Spa. By incorporating traditional and progressive skincare treatments, Teri’s become one of the most sought-after aestheticians in the greater L.A. area.